Re: What Is The GAMSAT
So, what is the gamsat?…
The gamsat is an exam in which students are required to sit in Australia and the UK in order to gain entrance into post-graduate medical or dental programs.
The test is run by ACER and consists of three different sections.
Section 1: Reasoning In Humanities and Social Sciences
- This section consists of 75 questions to be completed in 100 minutes. These questions are all multiple choice questions with 4 options – A, B, C, and D.
- Students are required to answers questions based on provided stimulus material. Types of stimulus material include – graphs, figures, stories, cartoon, plays, poems, dramas, and editorials.
- These different types of stimulus material can be divided into 4 different categories. Prose, poetry, social and behavioural science, and editorial cartoons/graphical representations.
Section 2: Written Communication
- This section consists of 2 essay tasks (Task A and Task B) to be written in 60 minutes.
- Students are given 5 quotes for each essay, which all surround a common theme. Students should then respond to the overall theme provided for each essay task.
- The themes for task A deal with sociocultural issues and the themes for task B deal with social and personal issues.
Section 3 – Reasoning in Biological and Physical Sciences
- This section consists of 110 questions to be completed in 170 minutes. These questions are all multiple choice questions with 4 options – A, B, C, and D.
- Assumed knowledge is biology, organic chemistry, and general chemistry (University Level). Physics assumed knowledge is year 12 or A level.
- The gamsat is not a knowledge test – it is a reasoning test. So students must use both their assumed knowledge and reasoning skills to determine the correct answer.If you would like to get access to a free GAMSAT Practice Test so you can see what questions to expect for SIII in the real exam, then click below.
I hope this answers your question of ‘what is the gamsat?’
Best of success!